Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Comrades 2015 Journey
Will keep you guys updated with the training, races and the actual day Big Grin

I ran the Soweto marathon last year in November just as a goal of finishing my first marathon, managed to finish in 4hrs 58 mins (2 mins to spare for Comrades qualifying time), and while the rush of finishing my first marathon was still flowing I entered the comrades marathon.

I bettered my qualifying time and seeding batch at the Vaal marathon at the beginning of March (4hrs 16mins), so no longer need to push at races and can just use them as training runs.

I train 4 times a week, Tuesdays: Hill training, Thursdays: Speed training, Saturdays and Sundays: Long slow runs to build endurance.

Since my training begun in November last year I have covered 680kms of running, and expect to reach around 1200kms come Comrades day.

I am realistically aiming to just finish the race (12 hour cut off), but would be happy to get a bronze medal (sub 11 hours).

As soon as I figure out how to upload pics I will :mrgreen:
<t></t>
11 hours of running. Fuck.

Won't you get bored?

You have to upload the images to photobucket or a similiar file sharing site, then paste the links in here.
<t></t>
Or you can use the "full editor" and then just use attachments, but yea fotobucket is the best probably.

Dude amazing journey, I am going to follow this.
<t></t>
Gosh golly... that's a lot of running.... I will literally puke myself to death if I have to run hours on end... I will die. I think some of my thoughts, dreams and aspirations in life has just died thinking of this.
<t>To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.</t>
/subscribes to this thread

I am looking forward to read and follow your journey.
Do you have a nutrition plan specifically for this?
Sypher187 Wrote:Gosh golly... that's a lot of running.... I will literally puke myself to death if I have to run hours on end... I will die. I think some of my thoughts, dreams and aspirations in life has just died thinking of this.
It's a great way for me to relax and let my mind wonder Smile
<t></t>
Bigfitness Wrote:/subscribes to this thread

No specific plan outside of running, but my pre run meal is a small bowl of chocolate pronutro, a banana and coffee. Seems to settle well in my stomach and give me the energy over time.

During my runs I sip on water/coke/energade, and eat jelly babies and energy gels (with water to avoid sugar spikes).
At a marathon today they offered hot cross buns at a water point, tried it out as I was starving and it worked out pretty well.

To give you an idea of how bad my nutrition is, I had a KFC twister and chips for dinner last night and ran a marathon this morning :roll:
The meals the night before don't seem to affect me on the day, it's the breakfast that makes or breaks it for me
<t></t>
Steve Wrote:

No specific plan outside of running, but my pre run meal is a small bowl of chocolate pronutro, a banana and coffee. Seems to settle well in my stomach and give me the energy over time.

During my runs I sip on water/coke/energade, and eat jelly babies and energy gels (with water to avoid sugar spikes).
At a marathon today they offered hot cross buns at a water point, tried it out as I was starving and it worked out pretty well.

To give you an idea of how bad my nutrition is, I had a KFC twister and chips for dinner last night and ran a marathon this morning :roll:
The meals the night before don't seem to affect me on the day, it's the breakfast that makes or breaks it for me

You must be one of those lucky genetic babies who's body just does stuff haha
<t>To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift.</t>
Sypher187 Wrote:
Steve Wrote:

You must be one of those lucky genetic babies who's body just does stuff haha
Haha it has it's down side too, I can't gain any weight Sad
<t></t>
Steve Wrote:Haha it has it's down side too, I can't gain any weight Sad

Not be too technical, but you can gain weight, it's just going to take more, you will need to munch down on a lot more protein than the average human, but it's possible... I am an ectomorph too, but I look like a meso-endo at the moment.
<t></t>

Was in the same boat as you. I used to think I ate a lot. Now I'm eating double what I used to - gained almost 8 kg's now in about 3 months.
<t></t>
shoreknee Wrote:

Was in the same boat as you. I used to think I ate a lot. Now I'm eating double what I used to - gained almost 8 kg's now in about 3 months.
Will try putting on some weight and eating right after Comrades, don't want to carry anything extra up those hills :oops:
<t></t>
Steve Wrote:
shoreknee Wrote:

Will try putting on some weight and eating right after Comrades, don't want to carry anything extra up those hills :oops:

No completely understand that, I guess for this you want to be as small and light as possible, I remember watching a video where that Kris Gethin guy who is a bodybuilder did the Tri Athlon and how he had to loose almost all of his muscle etc etc, nah running on this level... Not for me, I have lots of respect to you guys it takes a lot of dedication and mental endurance too.
<t></t>