South African Bodybuilding and Fitness

South African Bodybuilding, Strength, and Fitness forum - "Knowledge is Confidence". We offer nutrition advice, health-and-fitness tools, a highly engaged and supportive fitness community, and resources that are 100% free. Our bodybuilding and fitness forum inspires, motivates, and supports our members to build healthy and sustainable habits. Far beyond just weight loss, MuscleTalk helps everyone learn to eat better and exercise regularly - for life.

This is the place for our new members to introduce themselves and say hello to the rest of the forum.
By shoreknee
:mrgreen: Now that I got your attention:

Found this site on mybroadband and hoped that I could help get some activity going here.

I'm not hectically into "bodybuilding" as such but I have been going to the gym 6 days a week for the past 2 months. Loving each second of it.
I've put on about 5 - 6kg in that time. Which is good as I started out at about 70kg. Pushing for 80.

Looking forward to some advice and banter.
By Rolan
Sup brother! Welcome to the forum, I also found this site by a friend who said he saw it on mybroadband, I cant believe here isn't more activity yet!

Anyhow hope you enjoy your stay.
By Sypher187
Welcome ! :)

Thanks for joining this forum, I hope you feel at home and get your questions answered.
By shoreknee
Thanks for the welcome. Ok here goes my first predicament.
My upper body seems to grow quite easily but I'm really struggling to build the quads and hammies. This is made more difficult by the fact that after I train legs I have a horrible pain in my knees when climbing up or down stairs, kneeling down onto my knees is a painful experience as well as when I stand up when going over a bump or something similiar on my motorcycle. This pain usually lasts a day after with only a slight bit of discomfort after that.

I think I have narrowed it down to either squats, the leg press nad lunges which causes the pain. If I go heavy on leg extensions I sometimes get a sharp pain in my kness on the initial lift. I always squat on my heels and make sure there is no weight on my toes.

There is no pain when twisting my knees, only when putting pressure on them by using the stairs etc

My routine usually consists of - about 40 - 60 light leg extensions and a cycle to warm up the knees, squats , deadlifts, leg press, leg extensions, leg curls

This is driving me nuts as I really enjoy leg days and can't push as hard as I want to.
By Rolan
Hi Hope this might help? Personally I don't have knee issues or experience pain so I don't really know how to guide you apart from maybe identifying possible bad form? ( Not saying bad form is the reason, I mean you can just have bad knees which would suck)

1. Weight on the toes: This happens a lot when using too much weight which tends to pull your body too far forward. Other times it’s simply a lack of awareness of how to distribute one’s body weight.

2. Hips & knees move forward while squatting: This is a huge reason most people’s knees hurt squatting and an example of poor movement mechanics and/or tight hamstrings.

3. Thighs and lower back muscles doing most of the work: This happens when the core, glutes and hamstrings are weak. When you lack proper core and hip strength muscle imbalances often result in the quadriceps and lower back over working. This is one of the main reasons for knee pain during squatting.

4. Abs and hips are weak: These muscles need to be properly strengthened in order to eliminate knee and lower back pain.

5. Trunk collapses forward: This is a sure-fire sign of weak abs and glutes.

It’s important to understand that each of the above are caused by muscle imbalances that cause pain and injuries to areas of the body like the knees, back, shoulders, neck, ankles and feet. In other words, movements like squatting and lunging are not bad for your knees and they don’t cause injuries. Muscle imbalances are the real problem. If you don’t address muscle imbalances your knees hurt squatting, lunging, running and your pain will get worse over time.

Source :
http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/why-s ... ke-it-stop
http://functionaltrainingcoach.com/why- ... orrect-it/
By shoreknee
Thanks for this. I think it might be that my thighs are doing most of the work as I tore my hamstring in high school and I think my thighs picked up the slack since then.
By Rolan
shoreknee wrote:Thanks for this. I think it might be that my thighs are doing most of the work as I tore my hamstring in high school and I think my thighs picked up the slack since then.
Tights or Quads ?

Show us where they hurt you ;)

By shoreknee
To be honest I hardly feel squats anywhere except on the Rectus Femoris and in my glutes (Gluteus Medius aswell as sometimes my hips tend to sway to one side when going heavy)

I stayed away from squats and lunges last week and my knees feel good.

Another interesting thing is that when doing deadlifts I hardly feel any strain in my legs. Doesn't feel like they work much.
By Sypher187
Damn times like these I wish there where more people on here already that could assist you!

I have no knowledge on this at all.
By shoreknee
Sypher187 wrote:Damn times like these I wish there where more people on here already that could assist you!

I have no knowledge on this at all.
All good. I'm staying light on the squats and really pushing heavy weights with the hammies. Thinking that if I strgthen them the knees wont suffer as much.
By Rolan
I think that might assist yes, What I would recommend and this is just my opinion, Try to push shit hard on some other compound movements and go light but high volume on squads.

Ie:

When you do squads do it in the 15 rep range for at least 5 sets, but focus on absolute form, use this to build form not mass. ( Do not go heavy ), focus on the movement even if that means 15 reps with just the bar, the weight here is irreverent as you purely want to develop "perfect" form.

Then to gain strength do the age old tried and tested GVT ( German Volume Training ) on your Leg extensions and Lying Hamstring curls.

The goal of the German Volume Training method is to complete ten sets of ten reps with the same weight for each exercise. The program works because it targets a group of motor units, exposing them to an extensive volume of repeated efforts, specifically, 10 sets of a single exercise. The body adapts to the extraordinary stress by hypertrophying the targeted fibers. To say this program adds muscle fast is probably an understatement. Gains of 10 pounds or more in six weeks are not uncommon, even in experienced lifters.
By shoreknee
Rolan wrote:I think that might assist yes, What I would recommend and this is just my opinion, Try to push shit hard on some other compound movements and go light but high volume on squads.

Ie:

When you do squads do it in the 15 rep range for at least 5 sets, but focus on absolute form, use this to build form not mass. ( Do not go heavy ), focus on the movement even if that means 15 reps with just the bar, the weight here is irreverent as you purely want to develop "perfect" form.

Then to gain strength do the age old tried and tested GVT ( German Volume Training ) on your Leg extensions and Lying Hamstring curls.

The goal of the German Volume Training method is to complete ten sets of ten reps with the same weight for each exercise. The program works because it targets a group of motor units, exposing them to an extensive volume of repeated efforts, specifically, 10 sets of a single exercise. The body adapts to the extraordinary stress by hypertrophying the targeted fibers. To say this program adds muscle fast is probably an understatement. Gains of 10 pounds or more in six weeks are not uncommon, even in experienced lifters.
This is exactly what I'm doing. Was doing about 6 heavy sets with 15 reps on the extensions and curls. But 10x10 sounds good.

Last night I only had 40KG on the bar for squats and my knees feel totally destroyed today. FML
By Sypher187
Watch this video: I think you can relate.

[youtube]
[/youtube]
Website legitimacy

Did you find an answer yet if it's legit?

Pain Killer Pills For sale

Whatsapp/text/Call+1 (443)-281-3429 Ketamine,Roxyc[…]

Also single arm left hand pec is easier to do comp[…]

Pain killer Pills for sale

Whatsapp/text/Call+1 (443)-281-3429 Ketamine,Roxyc[…]