South African Bodybuilding and Fitness

South African Bodybuilding, Strength, and Fitness forum - "Knowledge is Confidence". We offer nutrition advice, health-and-fitness tools, a highly engaged and supportive fitness community, and resources that are 100% free. Our bodybuilding and fitness forum inspires, motivates, and supports our members to build healthy and sustainable habits. Far beyond just weight loss, MuscleTalk helps everyone learn to eat better and exercise regularly - for life.

Post your reviews on subelements here.

Moderator: Sypher187

So I decided to buy and test it after a recent thread on here regarding Nutritech took place.

I paid R630 for the 3.2Kg Nutritech Whey Protein and R340 for the Nutritech 1Kg Casein Protein Powder. I am not entirely sure how to do a review to be honest so I will just type as I think stuff up if that is okey?

Firstly lets look at the ingredients:

From the 3.2Kg Whey Protein Bottle/holder/container thing

Typical Nutritional Information ( Not entirely sure what "typical" means... )

Serving Size: 32g ( 2 heaped scoops )
Servings per container: Aprox. 100

Per 100g then Per Serving(32g)

Energy: 1503Kj
Total Protein: 72g
Total Carbohydrates: 10g
of which sugar: 7g
Total Fat: 3g
of which is saturated: 1.5g
Cholesterol: 156mg
Dietary fibre: 6g
Total Sodium: 175mg
Calcium: 550mg
Phosphorous: 350mg
Potassium: 530mg
Magnesium: 60mg
Chloride: 125mg

Energy: 510Kj
Total Protein: 23g
Total Carbohydrates: 3g
of which sugar: 2g
Total Fat: 0.9g
of which is saturated: 0.48g
Cholesterol: 50mg
Dietary fibre: 2g
Total Sodium: 150mg
Calcium: 110mg
Phosphorous: 112mg
Potassium: 169.6mg
Magnesium: 19.2mg
Chloride: 40mg

Other Ingredients: Ultra Pure Whey Protein Powder Matrix ( Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Powder isolate.), Fibre and Creamer Blend ( Xhantum Gum, Silicon Dioxide, High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Refined Rapeseed Oil, Glucose Syrup.), Permitted Flavourants and Colourants (E124), Non-nutritive Sweetener Blend ( Sodium Cyclamate, Sodium Saccharin, Acesulfame Potassium). Tolerase L (pH-Stable lactase). Soy Lecithin (Emulsifier).

I have not researched the above ingredients yet I will do that in depth tomorrow.

So far I had about 6 servings all ready since friday and to be honest, the taste is great and there is absolutely no diarrhoea, usually after 3 servings of other brands I will be glued to the toilet by now.

So so far so good!
I am going to dive a bit into each ingredient to just to clarify what exactly I am putting into my body, first I will research Xhantum Gum

Xanthan gum is a largely indigestible polysaccharide that is produced by bacteria called Xanthomonas Camestris. (1) Manufacturers place the bacteria in a growth medium that contains sugars and other nutrients, and the resulting product of bacterial fermentation is purified, dried, powdered, and sold as xanthan gum. (Makes you wonder who first thought to put it in food, doesn’t it?)

Animal studies

Overall, the results from animal studies on xanthan gum aren’t very concerning. In one experiment, rats were fed xanthan gum for two years in concentrations of 0.25, 0.50 or 1.0 g/kg body weight per day. (2) The only notable difference between the xanthan gum groups and the control group was that rats fed xanthan gum experienced soft stools somewhat more frequently than the control rats, but even that barely reached statistical significance. There were no differences in growth rate, survival, blood markers, organ weights or tumor incidence.

Another experiment followed a similar design but used dogs instead of rats, and the results were the same: no changes other than occasional soft stools. (3) In a three-generation reproductive study, rats were fed either 0.25 or 0.50 g/kg per day, and there were no significant changes in the parents and offspring from the xanthan gum-receiving groups. (4)

Based on those initial studies, it was concluded that xanthan gum is a perfectly safe food additive. Since then, a few additional animal studies with different aims have been published.

One study, conducted to evaluate the effects of xanthan gum on digestion in rats, found that a diet containing 4% xanthan gum increased the amount of water in the intestines by 400%, and also increased the number of sugars remaining in the intestine. (5) Another study found that in rats fed 50 g/kg of xanthan gum (an incredibly high dose) for 4 weeks, the stool water content and short-chain fatty acid (SCFA) content increased significantly. (6)

This last study actually relates to the potential anti-tumor properties of xanthan gum, and researchers found that orally administered xanthan gum was able to slow tumor growth and prolong the survival of mice with melanoma. (7) The mechanism is unclear, but it’s interesting nonetheless.

Human studies

Due to the lack of harmful effects observed in animal studies, there are few human studies on xanthan gum. The first study aimed to determine the safety of xanthan gum when consumed by humans in an everyday dietary setting, but at levels much higher than people would normally encounter in their diet. (8) For 23 days, 5 adult men with no GI issues consumed between 10.4g and 12.9g of xanthan gum daily (based on the subjects’ weight), which is 15 times the current Acceptable Daily Intake of 10mg/kg. Overall, they experienced a reduction in serum cholesterol, an increase in fecal bile acid, and an increase in stool output and water content.

Another study had volunteers consume 15g of xanthan gum per day for 10 days. (9) They found xanthan gum to be a “highly efficient laxative,” and subjects experienced greater stool output and gas. That’s not very surprising considering the high dose, but what I found particularly interesting about this study was their measurement of the ability of subjects’ fecal bacteria to metabolize xanthan gum.

The researchers found that before the trial period, bacteria from the stools of only 12 of the 18 subjects could break down the xanthan gum, while after the trial period, bacteria from 16 of the subjects could break it down. (10) Additionally, the stool samples containing bacteria that could break down the xanthan gum showed a much greater production of hydrogen gas and SCFA after the trial period as compared to baseline, indicating that the intestinal bacteria of the subjects quickly adapted to this new food source. Clearly, xanthan gum (like many indigestible carbohydrates) can have a profound impact on the gut microbiota in large doses.

Colitis in infants

The only concerning research I found on xanthan gum relates to the development of necrotizing enterocolitis (NEC) in infants. Earlier this year, the New York Times published an article relating the tragic deaths of infants who had developed NEC after consuming a diet of formula or breast milk that had been thickened with a xanthan gum-based product called SimplyThick. This product was widely used in hospitals to thicken feed for infants with swallowing difficulties.

Two papers reviewed the cases of xanthan gum-associated NEC, and while there isn’t enough data to establish causation, the general consensus seems to be that the xanthan gum caused increased bacterial production of SCFA in the newborns’ intestines, and this contributed to the development of NEC. (11, 12) Although SCFA are vital to colon health, the immature digestive systems of newborns appear to be extremely sensitive to them. (13, 14) Since then, general practice guidelines suggest avoiding manufactured thickening products in babies under 12 months old, and rice cereal or baby oatmeal is used instead.

I wanted to address this because while it’s clearly important to avoid giving xanthan gum to infants (especially in large amounts), I’d like to emphasize that none of this changes the fact that xanthan gum appears to be relatively harmless in adult humans. None of the animal or human studies found damage to the intestinal mucosa following xanthan gum consumption, even in large doses, so this danger appears to be unique to newborns. For everyone else, SCFA aren’t something to be afraid of, and they are actually beneficial for the gut and for metabolic health, as I mention in previous articles here and here.
Wheat, corn, soy, and dairy allergies

I mentioned in the opening section that xanthan gum is produced by bacterial fermentation of a sugar-containing medium. Unfortunately, that ‘medium’ is often a potentially allergenic substance such as corn, soy, dairy, or wheat. Many xanthan gum manufacturers aren’t eager to share what their ‘medium’ is, but one common supplier, Bob’s Red Mill, discloses their production practices.

It looks like they originally used corn or soy as a medium, but they’ve since changed their medium to a glucose solution derived from wheat starch. However, they claim that the xanthan gum is still gluten-free, and it continues to be marketed as such.

It can be difficult to find production info online, but just be aware that if you have a severe allergy to corn, soy, wheat, or dairy, it would be prudent to either avoid xanthan gum entirely or check with the manufacturer to see how it’s produced.

Conclusion

Based on the available evidence, the worst xanthan gum seems to be capable of (in adults) is causing some digestive distress in those who are susceptible by increasing stool bulk, water content, and sugar content. But as I just mentioned, those with severe allergies should also be careful.

I recommend that people with digestive problems generally avoid xanthan gum, not because there’s evidence that it could damage your gut, but because its structural properties make it likely to produce unpleasant gut symptoms. Unlike carrageenan, there’s no evidence that xanthan gum can cause serious harm (even in human studies using doses much higher than people would normally encounter), so if you are able to tolerate it, I see no compelling reason to strictly avoid it. I wouldn’t recommend consuming large amounts every day, because xanthan gum appears to have a high propensity for altering the gut microbiome, and it’s unclear whether that alteration could be problematic in the long run. But the small amounts that you would normally encounter in the context of a real-food diet shouldn’t present a problem.

Source: http://chriskresser.com/harmful-or-harmless-xanthan-gum
The next bad boy is Silicon Dioxide

Silicon is a mineral. Silicon supplements are used as medicine.

Silicon is used for weak bones (osteoporosis), heart disease and stroke (cardiovascular disease), Alzheimer's disease, hair loss, and improving hair and nail quality. It is also used for improving skin healing; and for treating sprains and strains, as well as digestive system disorders.

Do not confuse silicon with silicone. Silicone is the name of a group of materials resembling plastic that contain silicon, oxygen, and other chemicals. Silicone is used to make breast implants, medical tubing, and a variety of other medical devices.

How does it work?

A clear biological function for silicon in humans has not been established. There is some evidence, though, that silicon might have a role in bone and collagen formation.

Source: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplemen ... me=silicon
Our next ingredient is High Oleic Oil

What is “high oleic” oil?

High oleic oil is any oil that is high in monounsaturated fats. Olive and canola oil are naturally high in monounsaturated fat, but they are also high in polyunsaturated fats which mean they are not very shelf-stable. In recent years, scientists have developed sunflower (and other) oils that are bred to be high in monounsaturated fats and low in polyunsaturated fats so they can be used in products that need to be shelf-stable.

Why do food companies use high oleic oil?

In the past, food companies used hydrogenated oils (trans fats) to keep food shelf-stable and preserve flavor. When companies had to stop using trans fats, they switched to high oleic oils or palm kernel oil to make their food last longer for customers. These oils are often used in packaged baked goods (packaged cakes, cookies, etc), as spray coating for cereal, crackers and dried fruit; and in non-dairy creamers as well as many types of frying.

Is it healthy?

As far as we know, yes. High oleic oil is high in unsaturated fat, low in saturated fat, and has no trans fat. The large amount of monounsaturated fat in high oleic oil has been shown to lower LDL cholesterol (the bad kind) without lowering HDL cholesterol (the good kind). When LDL cholesterol goes down, so do the risks of heart disease, heart attacks, and stroke.

Source: https://eating-made-easy.com/what-is-high-oleic-oil/
Unfortunately I do not know the exact quantities of Refined Rapeseed Oil in the product, but this particular ingredient is a bad one imo, the word "refined" is the alarming part for me, we now anything thing that is "refined/processed/altered" is a bad thing.

If this is in fact vegetable oils... then well, be very cautious.
It all comes down to the quantity now.

I think Rapeseed oil is Canola oil, and contrary to modern believe Canola oil is not really as good for you as people thought...The term "canola" — a contraction of Canada and ola, for "oil low acid"[6] — came into usage in the 1980s to distinguish it from the more unsavory term "rapeseed". It became widely used to refer to rapeseed, and is now a trade-name for "double low" (low erucic acid and low glucosinolate) rapeseed.[7] The rapeseed is the harvested component of the crop.

Rapeseed oil is one of the oldest vegetable oils, but historically was used in limited quantities due to high levels of erucic acid, which is damaging to cardiac muscle of animals, and glucosinolates, which made it less nutritious in animal feed.[17] Rapeseed oil can contain up to 54% erucic acid.[18] Food-grade canola oil derived from rapeseed cultivars, also known as rapeseed 00 oil, low erucic acid rapeseed oil, LEAR oil, and rapeseed canola-equivalent oil, has been generally recognized as safe by the United States Food and Drug Administration.[19] Canola oil is limited by government regulation to a maximum of 2% erucic acid by weight in the USA[19] and 5% in the EU,[20] with special regulations for infant food. These low levels of erucic acid are not believed to cause harm in human neonates.[19][20]

In 1981, a deadly outbreak of disease in Spain, known as toxic oil syndrome,[21] was caused by the consumption of colza oil (a cousin of rapeseed oil procured from a similar species of rapa) for industrial use that was fraudulently sold as olive oil to be consumed in cooking, salads, and other foods. Symptoms appeared as a typical pneumonia with interstitial infiltrates on chest X-ray, complicated by pulmonary hypertension in a significant number of cases.[22]

Rapeseed pollen contains known allergens.[23][24] Whether rape pollen causes hay fever has not been well established, because rape is an insect-pollinated (entomophilous) crop, whereas hay fever is usually caused by wind-pollinated plants. The inhalation of oilseed rape dust may cause asthma in agricultural workers.[25]

Risks:
  • Vegetable Oils are Very “Unnatural” in Large Amounts
    Vegetable Oils Mess up The Fatty Acid Composition of The Body’s Cells
    Vegetable Oils Contribute to Inflammation
    Vegetable Oils Are Loaded With Trans Fats
    Vegetable Oils Can Dramatically Raise Your Risk of Cardiovascular Disease
    Vegetable Oil Consumption is Associated With Various Other Diseases
source: http://www.gmo-compass.org/eng/database ... d_oil.html
source: http://authoritynutrition.com/6-reasons ... are-toxic/
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapeseed
Next we have Glucose Syrup not to be confused with high fructose corn syrup, which is related, but chemically different.

What is Glucose Syrup?

Glucose syrup is a sweet, viscous syrup made from a mixture of water and glucose, which is a kind of sugar. There are several applications for glucose syrup, both in food production and in medicine. Since one of the most common sources of glucose for syrup is corn, glucose syrup is often referred to as corn syrup.

Production

There are many potential sources of glucose in nature. Starch is made up of long chains of glucose molecules, chemically bonded together. As such, any starchy plant is a potential source of glucose. For commercial manufacture of glucose syrup, manufacturers typically use corn, because it's very cheap. With the help of enzymes, which are chemicals that assist in a variety of reactions, they separate the glucose units from one another, converting starch into pure glucose.

Source: http://www.gmo-compass.org/eng/database ... syrup.html
Source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/33299 ... ose-syrup/
Now lets look at Permitted Flavourants and Colourants especially that colourant (E124)

Colourant E124 or commonly known as Ponceau 4R, Cochineal Red A, Brilliant Scarlet 4R is banned in Norway and the United States.

E124 - ponceau 4R

This red food colouring is often found in soft drinks, sweets and puddings, and is one of the additives currently being investigated for triggering hyperactivity. E124 has been banned in the US and Norway as a cancer-causing chemical. A study published in Toxicological Sciences in 2001 found there was a connection between the colouring and tumours in animals, but called for more conclusive research to be carried out. A review of food additives carried out by the FSA's committee on toxicity last year found ponceau 4R could have an effect on brain development in young children.

Source: http://www.laleva.cc/food/enumbers/E120-E130.html
Source: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... ing.health

This is a concern for me to be honest, I am not sure what the term "banned substances" involve, but clearly this is a concern?
Sodium Cyclamate, now here is another red flag right here:

Sodium cyclamate, often simply called cyclamate, is an artificial sweetener banned in the United States since 1969

This causes:
  • Bladder Cancer
    Male Reproductive defects
    Other Cancers
    • Animal studies such as a 24-year study of 37 monkeys have found that monkeys given either 100 mg per kg or 500 mg per kg developed more cancers than the placebo group, which developed no cancer. However, the cancers were of different types and occurred at similar rates often seen in monkeys. Of the three cancers that developed, one was a liver cancer, one a colon cancer and one a prostate cancer. Three other monkeys in the treatment group developed benign tumors. Critics of the study, which the authors showed determined no risk of cancer from cyclamates, state that the rate of tumors in treated monkeys was statistically significant at a rate 33 percent higher than the normal expected rate.
Source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/33211 ... cyclamate/
Source: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/side-ef ... -1903.html
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_cyclamate
Another cancer risk... Sodium Saccharin

accharin sodium is a type of artificial sweetener that is sweeter than sucrose but has a bitter aftertaste. Saccharin sodium is often used to sweeten soft drinks, candy, biscuits, medicine and toothpaste. Prior to the year 2000, the Food and Drug Administration required that a warning label be placed on products containing saccharin sodium due to its possible health risks.

Research studies in the 1970s linked a diet very high in saccharin to an increased incidence of bladder cancer in lab rats.

Weight Gain

Even though saccharin is an artificial sweetener that has no caloric value, the "Los Angeles Times" cited evidence that saccharin, and other artificial sweeteners, may increase the risk of obesity. The sweet taste of saccharin signals your body that it is about to receive a high amount of calories, and your digestive system prepares for the additional calories. When these calories do not come, your body may become resistant to this response, which can promote fat storage and weight gain.

source: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/sodium- ... -1859.html
source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/47050 ... in-sodium/
Another bad boy literally bad is Acesulfame Potassium

Although this particular artificial sweetener that is 200 times sweeter than sugar is one of the least studied of all the sweeteners and the general notion is that it is safe to use, I am still a bit skeptical....

Acesulfame-K: Acesulfame-K (aka "Ace-K") is a potassium salt containing methylene chloride, a known carcinogen. Acesulfame-K is not the same thing as Aspartame, but quite often, BOTH are found in the same products. Reported side effects of "sweet devil" Acesulfame-K are frightening: "Long term exposure to methylene chloride can cause nausea, headaches, mood problems, impairment of the liver and kidneys, problems with eyesight and possibly cancer. Acesulfame-K may contribute to hypoglycemia.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichloromethane
Source: http://www.naturalnews.com/041510_Acesu ... z3W47JbpKz
Source: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pag ... ame-k.aspx
Source: https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/methylenechloride/
Tolerase™ L

Tolerase™ L is an acid lactase that converts lactose into glucose and galactose. The enzyme originates from a special strain of the fungus Aspergillus oryzae. Its activity at low pH (3.5 – 5.5) makes this lactase particularly effective to digest lactose in the stomach and is therefore ideal for use in dietary supplements as a digestive aid.

Lactose is a milk sugar, naturally present in dairy products. It is digested by the enzyme lactase into glucose and galactose, which are absorbed into the bloodstream. Lactose-intolerant people lack this enzyme and as a result are unable to digest lactose fully.

If undigested, lactose reaches the large intestine where it is degraded by its microflora. The resulting by-products may cause symptoms of lactose intolerance including diarrhea, abdominal cramps, flatulence and nausea. When lactose-intolerant people stop consuming dairy products, their intake of calcium tends to be lower, which can put their bone health at risk.
Woman drinking Milk and enyoing it

About 50% of the world’s population is lactose intolerant, meaning that they cannot drink milk or consume dairy products without experiencing these uncomfortable symptoms. The prevalence of lactose intolerance varies across the world. In general, people from western countries are less prone to lactase deficiency, but still up to 20% of the population is unable to digest lactose. In Latin America, Africa and Asia the prevalence of lactose intolerance is much higher. For instance, in China almost all the population is lactose intolerant.

Source: https://www.dsm.com/content/dam/dsm/foo ... eaflet.pdf
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance

Source:
Leaflet
(1.67 MiB) Downloaded 116 times
Soy lecithin is one of the most ubiquitous additives in our food supply. It’s used primarily as an emulsifier, and you can find it in everything from salad dressing to tea bags. Paleo dieters avoid the brunt of it by eliminating most processed foods, but it almost always pops up in chocolate (everyone’s favorite honorary Paleo food) and often appears in supplements.

I recommend avoiding soy as a general rule, but consuming small amounts of soy lecithin as an additive is very different from, say, eating a soy burger topped with soy cheese or drizzling soybean oil on your salad. This article will probably be more than you ever wanted to know about soy lecithin, but I wanted to do my best to get all the facts out on the table.

What is Soy Lecithin?

The term ‘lecithin’ can have different meanings depending on the context, but for our purposes, it refers to a mixture of phospholipids and oil. Phospholipids are a component of the cell membrane in all plants and animals, but lecithin is most often derived from sunflower kernels, rapeseed (canola), milk, soy, and egg yolks. (1)

The specific composition of soy lecithin varies depending on its manufacturer and intended use, but on average, it contains about 35% soybean oil and 16% phosphatidylcholine. (2) Phosphatidylcholine is a type of phospholipid that is abundant in liver and egg yolks, and is the primary form of choline found in foods. (3) The remaining percentage is other phospholipids and glycolipids.

To make soy lecithin, soybean oil is extracted from the raw soybeans using a chemical solvent (usually hexane). (4) Then, the crude soy oil goes through a ‘degumming’ process, wherein water is mixed thoroughly with the soy oil until the lecithin becomes hydrated and separates from the oil. Then, the lecithin is dried and occasionally bleached using hydrogen peroxide.

There are many claims online about soy lecithin being full of nasty chemicals left over from the production process. Not surprisingly, there aren’t many credible sources describing the chemical content of commercial soy lecithin, but I have found some relevant data about the safety of soy lecithin.

Before the ‘degumming’ step where lecithin is removed, the crude oil undergoes a multi-step process to remove the hexane. (5) However, it appears that the FDA doesn’t regulate the amount of hexane residue in food products, and one paper estimated that the residual hexane concentration of soy oil is 500-1000ppm. (6) So, it’s very possible that similar concentrations remain in the soy lecithin. (For comparison’s sake, the concentration limit for hexane in pharmaceuticals is 290ppm.) (7)

According to one analysis, total pesticide residues in crude soy oil are around 400ppb. (8) Since the pesticide concentration of the oil after degumming is similar, it’s pretty likely that some of those pesticides end up in the lecithin as well.

While it’s unfortunate that soy lecithin likely contains pesticides and solvents, I would just encourage you to keep this information in perspective. We’re exposed to hundreds of chemical toxins every day in our air, water, household products, and food, and contaminants in soy lecithin will contribute only slightly to your overall toxic load. After all, we’re talking parts per million and parts per billion, and soy lecithin itself usually makes up no more than 1% of processed foods. (9)

Of course, in an ideal world, we would be able to avoid these things altogether, and I certainly recommend reducing your exposure as much as possible. It’s also a good idea to make sure your detox systems are functioning effectively. But unless you have a severe chemical sensitivity to hexane or pesticides, occasionally consuming small amounts is not worth getting bent out of shape over.

Allergies

Soy allergies are triggered by soy proteins, so whether lecithin triggers an allergic response or not depends on its protein content. One analysis found protein concentrations ranging from 100 to 1,400ppm in six different soy lecithin samples. (10) (For reference, the new FDA gluten-free labeling law requires a gluten concentration of less than 20ppm.) (11) Another analysis of six different lecithin samples found that four had sufficient protein to trigger an IgE-mediated response in people with soy allergies, while two contained no detectable protein at all. (12) However, another study performed similar testing and concluded that even if protein is present in soy lecithin, it’s not a significant allergen for people with soybean allergies. (13)

It’s clear that the source of the soy lecithin is a major determinant in whether or not it will present a problem for those with soy allergies, but if you have a soy allergy, I’d say better safe than sorry. However, because protein is present in such a low concentration, and soy lecithin itself usually makes up no more than 1% of processed foods, it’s probably not a problem for those with minor sensitivities to soy.

GMO

Most of the soy grown in the US is genetically modified, so unless the label says ‘organic soy lecithin,’ it probably came from a genetically modified soybean. You know I’m not a fan of GMOs, due to the presence of potentially transferrable DNA and potentially immunogenic proteins. However, as I discussed in the section on allergies, soy lecithin contains very little soy protein, and lecithin from some sources contains no detectable protein at all. Soy lecithin also contains very little DNA, and the DNA present is usually degraded to the extent that it’s impossible to tell whether the soy is genetically modified or not. (14) Thus, most of the risks associated with consumption of GMOs aren’t relevant for soy lecithin, and shouldn’t be cause for concern.

Phytoestrogens

Soy is the greatest food source of phytoestrogens, and one group of researchers discovered significant estrogenic activity in soy lecithin. (15) Interestingly, none of the soy lecithin they tested contained genistein, which is the predominant phytoestrogen in soy. They concluded that “a so-far unidentified estrogen-like compound” is present in soy lecithin that accounts for its estrogenic activity.

We know how problematic phytoestrogens can be, but again, the dose makes the poison. Remember, soy isn’t the only source of phytoestrogens we’re exposed to. (Did you know that flaxseed is also a significant source of phytoestrogens? In fact, one study showed that supplementation with ground flaxseed altered estrogen metabolism even more than supplementation with soy flour.) It’s definitely best to keep phytoestrogens to a minimum, and individuals dealing with cancer or fertility problems might want to avoid them more strictly. But for most generally healthy people, the small amounts of phytoestrogens from soy lecithin shouldn’t be a problem.

Toxicity

One study that has been used widely as ammunition against soy lecithin is titled “Effects of a Commercial Soy Lecithin Preparation on Development of Sensorimotor Behavior and Brain Biochemistry in the Rat.” Researchers found that soy lecithin in concentrations of 2% and 5% in the diets of pregnant and newborn rats resulted in impaired reflexes and swimming ability, along with other cognitive deficiencies.

It’s important to understand that these effects are due to choline toxicity, not soy lecithin per se. The elevated brain/body weight ratios, plus elevated acetylcholine and choline acetyltransferase levels that resulted from soy lecithin supplementation were caused by the phosphatidylcholine, and would’ve still occurred even if they had used a source of phosphatidylcholine other than soy; even egg yolks.

It would be very difficult to consume as much choline as these rats did, especially from soy lecithin. In fact, most people are deficient in choline! This is just another case of a study being misinterpreted, and you certainly don’t need to worry about soy lecithin causing developmental problems.

Therapeutic Uses

I believe I’ve covered all of the main concerns about soy lecithin, but it’s worth mentioning that soy lecithin is also being recommended and consumed as a dietary supplement. There is a growing body of research supporting its use for improving blood lipids, reducing inflammation, and treating neurological disorders. (16) For instance, one study found that after 2 months of supplementing with 500mg of soy lecithin per day, total cholesterol levels fell by 42% and LDL levels decreased by 56%. (17)

However, most of these studies involve supplementation with a purified form of soy lecithin, which usually contains less soy oil and more phosphatidylcholine than the commercial soy lecithin that shows up in foods. Additionally, isolated phosphatidylcholine is often referred to as ‘lecithin’ in scientific contexts, so some studies supplementing with ‘soy lecithin’ are really just supplementing with phosphatidylcholine.

So once again, it’s not the soy lecithin; it’s the choline. Luckily, you can derive all the benefits of phosphatidylcholine supplementation just by increasing your consumption of choline-rich foods like egg yolks and liver.

So, what to do?

The only people who need to make a point of avoiding soy lecithin are those with severe soy allergies or chemical sensitivities, and of course, those who notice that they personally react badly to it. And if you don’t have a soy allergy, almost all of the remaining concerns about soy lecithin (pesticides, solvents, and GMOs) can be completely eliminated by purchasing products that contain organic soy lecithin.

But for the vast majority of the population, even conventional soy lecithin isn’t worth worrying about one way or the other. If it’s just as easy for you to avoid it as it is to consume it, then do so. (For example, Enjoy Life is one popular brand of chocolate that is soy-free.) Ultimately, I think most people can just enjoy their occasional chocolate treat without worrying about whether it contains soy lecithin.

Source: http://chriskresser.com/harmful-or-harm ... y-lecithin
Website legitimacy

Did you find an answer yet if it's legit?

Pain Killer Pills For sale

Whatsapp/text/Call+1 (443)-281-3429 Ketamine,Roxyc[…]

Also single arm left hand pec is easier to do comp[…]

Pain killer Pills for sale

Whatsapp/text/Call+1 (443)-281-3429 Ketamine,Roxyc[…]